Saturday, January 29, 2011

Comic a Day!

Since December 31st 2010, I have been creating a short comic each day. I don't post many of them as they range in quality, but I have been finding the act of creating a mini comic everyday very instructive. The comics are usually three panels and feature something that happened to me or that I heard earlier that day.

A few weeks into this self-challenge (of sorts) I heard about the 365 art challenge where people commit to drawing at least one picture a day. I suppose what I am doing raises the anti a bit. I spend between 15 minutes and 2 hours a day working on a single strip. Over the weekends when I have more time I scan my comics and post one or two. I make notes throughout the week of various ideas I have for more strips as I don't always have an idea for one each time I sit down to draw. I also make these notes so that I can add the dialogue after I scan them. My hand writing can be hit and miss, so I prefer to digitally add the dialogue (plus I like the look of word bubbles created in a digital format). For this I use the free Comic Life program that came with my MAC. Unfortunately, my scanner is small and does not always produce high-quality images. Because of this not all the comics look that great (see the Death of a Tube of Toothpaste as an example). If you are reading this and know of a good art scanner, please let me know!

Hopefully as the year progresses the comics will become better and better. I have already learned a lot over the past month and I imagine that this will continue. Also, feedback is always appreciated so let me know how I am doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment